The history of the Saransk plant of medical preparations [now the joint-stock company “Biochemist”] originates from the decision of the Council of Ministers of the USSR of March 5, 1952 on the construction of a plant for the production of antibiotics in the city of Saransk. The first stage of the plant was launched on November 5, 1959. Since that day a new branch of industry has appeared in Mordovia – a chemical-pharmaceutical industry, which has great significance for the entire national economy of the USSR and abroad. Soviet penicillin was supplied to nine countries.
The collapse of the Soviet Union and the economic crisis of the early 1990s could not but affect the work of the enterprise – the production of pharmaceutical substances for medicines was completely discontinued. The Russian market was flooded with imported substances imported mainly from China, the United States, and India.
A new revolutionary stage in the development of Biochemistry is connected with the arrival of a new owner of the GC PROMOMED at the plant. In 2015, the company’s management made the most important decision for the country’s pharmaceutical industry to restore the production of Russian antibacterial drugs. In a short time, the production of antibiotics was organized at JSC Biokhimik.
On February 20, 2018, a historic event took place for the pharmaceutical industry of the country – a modern production of full-cycle antibiotics was opened at Biokhimik JSC: a strain-producer-substance-a ready-made drug. The Minister of Health of the Russian Federation Veronika Skvortsova, who attended the ceremony, said: “This plant produces products that meet the requirements of the pharmacopeia [developed] countries of the world. The quality level is the highest. Above him in the world simply does not exist”.
Entering the industrial level of synthesis of antibiotic substances is an important social function of the enterprise, ensuring the implementation of the strategy of the President of the Russian Federation on import substitution and enhancement of Russia’s export potential. To achieve these goals, the company’s management carried out a complete reconstruction of the shops of JSC “Biokhimik”, where the most modern equipment was installed, allowing production of products meeting the requirements of the State Pharmacopoeia of the Russian Federation, USP, BP and EP. The manufacturing process for the production of substances fully complies with GMP standards.
The company also built its own system for providing the pharmaceutical industry with qualified personnel and the formation of a personnel reserve. JSC “Biochemist” closely cooperates with the National Research Mordovian State University. N.P. Ogaryova. The company pays for the best students the study and provides additional scholarships. The basic department of chemistry and technology of physiologically active substances of the Moscow State University was opened. N.P. Ogarev, where they will train specialists in the field of biosynthesis of antibiotics.
Today JSC “Biochemist” is experiencing a period of rapid growth: new workshops are being built, production sites are being modernized, new medicines are being developed and registered. At present, the enterprise produces 10 types of medicinal forms, more than 100 names of medicines, of which 80% are included in the list of VED. A large portfolio of hospital preparations is at the registration stage. In the near future, the opening of a new building for the production of liquid sterile medicines in the form of pre-filled syringes, ampoules and small-size vials.
All this allows JSC “Biochemist” to maintain the leading position in the production of pharmaceuticals in the Russian Federation and to remain one of the leading industrial enterprises in the Republic of Mordovia.
Tel .: +7 (8342) 38-03-68